|Scimitar Pass. 4/27/2017|
Here's what I used. Just the gear. The route description, that won't go public. I'm glad to share privately, if you want. Words on the whole experience will appear elsewhere. For nuts and bolts, read on. I had exactly what I needed. I wouldn't have wanted any more or less.
Ski and Tech Gear
- Dynafit PDG Skis and Dynafit Low Tech 2.0 Race bindings.
- Dynafit PDG boots
- Contour race skins
- Camp Storm Helmet
- Camp NanoTech Crampons
- Camp Corsa ice axe
- Dynafit Ski crampons
- Black Diamond Helio ski poles
|Race skis do fine downhill when it is firm. And uphill? Like a dream.|
- T shirt
- Patagonia sun hoody
- Camp Protection wind jacket
- Arc Teryx Nuclei FL puffy jacket
- Feathered Friends Helios down jacket
- Crazy Idea ski pants. Like, training "tights". Not your typical soft-shell ski pants. Way better.
- Camp Protection wind pants
- Two pairs of Bridgedale compression ski socks
- Camp G comp Warm gloves
- Camp Wind mitts
- Sun hat
|I "slept out" one night. The last night. It was warm, calm, and beautiful. All the other nights were in the tent.|
- Feathered Friends Vireo sleeping bag. Simply brilliant. Paired with the Helios, this is the lightest, most versatile high mountain sleeping system on the market. For this many days, it was a little light and cold. For shorter missions, it is unparalleled.
- Feathered Friends down booties
- Thermarest NeoAir, short.
- Torso length closed cell foam (for the middle third of the trip I used a borrowed second piece of similar foam, for additional warmth)
- Black Diamond Betamid tent
- Old Chouinard brand shovel blade that works on the Corsa ice axe. Crucial for camping.
- Space blanket ground sheet
- Arc Teryx Alpha FL 45 backpack, modified to carry skis in bandolier race style.
Cooking and food
- Just over two pounds of food per day. Freeze dried, bars, nuts, jerky, soups, etc.
- 2x 1 quart gatorade bottles
- MSR Reactor 1.0L stove and pot
- Back up MSR Pocket Rocket stove burner
- 2 ounces of canister fuel per day
- 2/3 cup measuring cup for snow melt
- two lighters
- Eat out of the freeze dried containers
- I got resupplied with appropriate amounts of the consumables (food and fuel) on day 8 and day 12. My buddy Paul brought me a couple sandwiches on day 13.
Electronics and Communications
- Iridium GO Sat phone/modem/text device
- Spare battery back up
- Charging cables
- Petzl Reactik headlamp
- Spare battery for Reactik
- Solar panel
- Spare headlamp. Petzl E*lite.
Emergency and Repair
- Three ski straps
- candle/skin wax
- rub on ski wax
- super glue
- hose clamps
- bit driver and bits
- zip ties
- Leatherman Squirt PS4
- Thermarest repair kit
- Various tapes, duct and clothing repair.
- A few t-nuts and screws
- Rubber gloves
- ibuprofen, pepto, excedrin, anti-diarrheal
- first aid tape
|The daily nap and foot break. This time, in the Royce Lakes looking at Merriam Peak. 5/1/2017|